St. Andrew's Scots Kirk, Colombo
73, Galle Road,
Service each Sunday morning at 9.30am
Interim Moderator Rev Ian Gilmour
Worship at St. Andrew’s Scots Kirk, Colombo, in Princes Street, Fort, began on 21st October, 1842. It was a member congregation of the Presbytery of Ceylon, part of the Church of Scotland, hence the name “Scots Kirk”. The congregation enjoyed good relations with its Presbyterian brothers and sisters in the Dutch Reformed Churches of the city. The church experienced good times of growth and had to endure some difficult times especially when one minister had departed and another was still to make the arduous sea journey out from Scotland.
Under the ministry of Alexander Dunn, the church removed to new premises at 73, Galle Road, Colpetty in 1906. The site at Fort was required for other purposes and the city was beginning to spread south through Colpetty.
After independence was granted to Ceylon in 1948, the Scottish community diminished. Through the second half of the twentieth century, St. Andrew’s began to develop a new ministry. Although still a congregation of the Church of Scotland, it has become “International – International – and open to all”. It became a member of the Presbytery of Europe in May 2008.
St. Andrew's next minister will be Rev. Roderick Campbell, whose induction is scheduled for Sunday 4th May 2014.